How to design a business card yourself
When you’re trying to build your brand, it’s important to find creative ways to make a first impression. A professionally designed business card can do just that! And it’s not as hard as you think: with the right tools and some patience, creating your own business cards is easy.
What is a business card?
A business card is a small, often rectangular piece of paper that includes a person’s name and contact information. Business cards are usually exchanged when two people meet for the first time. They are used in many countries and industries, but they’re especially common in some parts of Asia where they’re treated like currency.
Business cards can be printed on any kind of paper stock–matte or glossy finish; thick or thin stock–and come in all shapes and sizes (square, round). Some even have die-cut edges to make them look more interesting! There are also options for printing multiple colors on one side of your business card if you want something really eye-catching!
Why do you need a business card?
You might be wondering why you need to create a business card. After all, they’re just pieces of paper and ink. But consider this:
- Business cards are an essential part of marketing your brand and connecting with potential customers. They let people know who you are, what you do and where they can find more information about you online or in person.
- They give off a professional image–no one wants to work with someone who looks unprofessional!
- Because they’re small enough to carry around easily, it’s easy for people to hand out their own cards when someone else asks them for theirs (and it makes them feel good about themselves). Plus, if someone does want one but doesn’t have any on hand at the moment? No problem–there’s always another opportunity later down the road because now both parties have each other’s contact info stored away somewhere safe until then!
How to design a business card for your brand
- Choose a business card size that fits your brand.
- Consider the layout of your business card.
- Choose a color scheme that fits your brand, and make sure it’s readable at small sizes!
Step 1 – Decide on your brand’s color palette
The first step in designing your business card is to decide on your brand’s color palette. A color palette is a selection of colors that define the personality, story and message of your brand. It can also help you determine the tone or feel of your design, as well as its target audience and goals for success.
When deciding which colors to use for your business card design, ask yourself these questions:
- What does my business stand for? What do I want people who see my business card to think about it? Is there an emotion or feeling I want them to experience when they look at it? For example, if you own an interior design company specializing in modern homes with lots of natural light streaming through large windows then maybe using bright blues would be appropriate because they’re associated with happiness–a feeling that could be evoked by looking at one’s home after having worked with him/her on its makeover! But if instead he/she worked mainly on restoring old buildings then maybe some earthy tones like browns would work better since they evoke feelings associated with stability (i..e., “this building has been around since before my time here”). So think carefully about what kind of impact each color choice will have on those viewing them before settling down onto one option over another; otherwise you risk losing potential clients who might otherwise have appreciated what else was available within their budget range but found themselves turned off by what seemed more expensive than expected!
Step 2 – Create a few mockups
To create a few mockups, you’ll want to use a tool like Canva or Photoshop. Canva is a great tool for designing your business card as it has thousands of templates that can be customized. This app is available for both, mobile devices and desktop as well as web browsers! Canva is also free to use however, they do have a premium plan if you require more features.
Once your mockups are ready, it’s time for the fun part: choosing which one(s) work best with your brand. To do this, simply ask yourself: “Does this card make me feel like myself?” The answer should be yes! If not, keep working until it does (or just go ahead and start over). Don’t lose hope! Once you get started and try a few designs, you will start getting a feel for what you like and reach a design that suits your style and personality.
Step 3 – Choose the layout that works best for your business card
Choosing the layout for your business card is an important step in the design process. You want to make sure that you choose a layout that highlights your brand and makes it easy for people to read.
Here are some things to keep in mind when choosing a layout:
- Make sure all of the necessary information is included on the card, such as contact information, email address and/or website URL (if applicable). You should also include any other details such as how long you’ve been in business or where customers can find reviews online if they want more info about your company.
- Think about how you want people to receive their business cards–do they prefer handing them out face-to-face? Or would they rather send them via email? The answer will help determine how much space should be allotted per line so everything fits comfortably on both sides of each card without being too crowded or too empty looking at different times throughout its lifespan!
Step 4 – Finalize your design and get everything ready for printing!
Once you’ve finished your design, it’s time to check and double-check that everything is ready for printing.
Here are some things to look out for:
- Make sure you have double checked your design, colours and text for spelling errors and mistakes. Proof reading is a must to avoid a situation in which you have printed 1000 business cards and later on realize that the phone number is missing a digit.
- Export your design from Canva or Photoshop in the highest quality setting that is available. In order for the printing company to get the best print, the artwork needs to be high quality.
- Check and compare prices online between various printing companies – SignUp Media is dedicated to being the cheapest in business card printing!
A professionally designed business card can be a great first impression for potential clients
Business cards are an essential part of any business. They can be used to keep in touch with potential clients, and they give you a great first impression when you meet someone new. Business cards are also a good way to establish yourself as an expert in your field, which can help you get more work or referrals from satisfied customers.
A professionally designed business card will make all the difference between getting hired and not getting hired by potential clients. It’s important that your design stand out from the crowd so that people remember it when they need something done by someone who knows what they’re doing! Furthermore, they’re excellent to carry with when doing exhibitions or networking with people.
Now that you’ve got all the basics of business card design down, it’s time to start creating your own! We hope this article has given you some insight into how to make an impact with your business cards. The key thing is to keep them simple while still looking professional and memorable. Remember that they are not just another piece of paper–they’re an opportunity for people who don’t know about your brand yet (and maybe even current customers too) to get acquainted with what makes it special
Frequently Asked Questions
A business card is a small card that contains contact information for a company or individual. Business cards are often printed on durable card stock and given out during formal introductions or networking events. They are also used to give out to potential customers when making sales calls.
There are various online websites which provide business card templates for free. Simply download these templates and edit them to your liking. Additionally, you can use free tools like Canva or Adobe Express which provide you with thousands of business card templates for free.
You can get your business card printed in South Africa by SignUp Media. We have been in the printing business for generations and pride ourselves as being one of the most trusted places to get your cards printed. Our online store allows customers to upload their artwork and have their business card printed and shipped within a few days. Additionally, we offer the best prices in South Africa for single and double sided business cards.